Observation of Target by Anthony Fernandez

On Saturday October 5th at around 4:30p.m. I embarked on the journey to Target. When entering the shopping facility, I immediately smelled the coffee from Starbucks that was to the left of the entrances and pizza sauce and bread that came from the mini Pizza Hut that was in the mini food court. When going down the escalators I was thrown with the scent of which I characterized Target to smell like which is cotton and linen. I continue to walk on the white tiled walkway as I hear the top 50’s pop music hits that you would usually hear in a store. Walking further I get to the home decor/ appliance section and notice silver pots, mugs with catchy phrases, coffee makers, expensive thermoses, decorative pillows, wall art, and decor pieces for coffee tables as people talk about what appliance is better or frustrated moms telling their kids not to touch anything that looks like it fragile. Continuing onward I get to the clothing section with long sleeves, sweaters, hoodies, jeans, pants, shoes, tees, and underwear and people just silently looking at clothing pieces would look best on them as they also contemplate whether to buy it or not. I actually have noticed how much quieter it is in the clothing section then it is in lets say the self care section. Anyways moving forth, I get to the books and tech section with of course the latest released books, DVD’s, and technology like phones, TV’s, and tablets with consumers that are mesmerized by how big the TV’s are and then slowly walk away as they see that price tag and also with workers helping consumers look for, shop for, and help guide for what product to buy. As I move towards the next section I could hear the children screaming because of the horror of a decoration, because of the amount of candy the bags have, and moms telling their kids to stop putting candy in the carts, I reach the Halloween section. They really do grab your attention with wanting to push that button to see the skeleton DJ, well DJ. Kudos to you Target. Next to the Halloween section is the food section filled with junk food, frozen food, healthy food, and produce with mom pretty much telling their kids the same thing and people contemplating on whether they should get that new flavor of Lays or get just get Doritos. Then I get to the last section before the check-out section which is filled with self care products such as feminine products, skin and hair care products, and of course make-up and it’s filled with people contemplating on a product, frustrated moms, or people with an attitude that would make you feel either angry, sad, or confused. Lastly comes the check-out section is filled with angry consumers and frustrated workers because of the long lines.

5 thoughts on “Observation of Target by Anthony Fernandez

• I like how you discuss of kids behaving badly in the store which is a pattern I always see at Target. I as well like how you talked about the music put in the store which I notice always in the store that I sing along to. Lastly I like how you discuss about the scent of the food which when reading I smell since I’m always at target.

• I like how well detailed your writing was. Target is a store composed of many different items, so labeling them based on your location was a great way for the audience to have a visual appearance of the environment. Overall, amazing work and a great choice.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message