Baldwin’s Post by Loreidy Taveras

The cultural information that Baldwin shows in this article is the perception white policemen have on black people such as thinking of them as “bad niggers”. According to this article, white men see black people as troublemakers. “Harlem believes, and I certainly agree that these laws are directed against Negroes. They are certainly not directed against anybody else.” Cultural information that is given from the stance of a white policeman or “white America” is that black people are the causes of trouble which is why Baldwin believes that the types of laws like the No Knock, Stop and Frisk laws are made to aim towards the black community. I also noticed that throughout the article, Baldwin would quote the people talking with grammatical errors. For example, “Therefore, I have quite a few police look at me now pretty hard. My lawyer he axe (asked) me to keep somebody with me at all times ’cause the police may try to mess with me again.’” I wasn’t sure if Balwin quoted the speakers original word as “axe” instead of “asked” purposely or not.

Some types of questions that a fieldworker might ask to further uncover the culture that Baldwin describes could be: “what are some more rituals, rules and behaviors (in perspective of a black person coming from a black household)?, and “what do you believe is the reason behind laws being targeted towards black people?”

The fieldworker can also use other sources of information to penetrate the “insider perspective” such as, asking a friend or someone that shares a particular characteristic with them on the topic to generate more of an inside look where the person can also relate and understand a different perspective.

2 thoughts on “Baldwin’s Post by Loreidy Taveras

• I found it interesting how you mentioned the grammatical errors that were fixed in the text. I didn’t pay much mind to it until you said it and now I wonder if it was also done on purpose. Your questions seemed very realistic to one that a fieldworker would ask. I also partially said the same thing about using other sources of information like family or friends.

• you wrote that the laws like the No Knock, Stop and Frisk laws are certainly not directed against anybody else except the black community. this makes me wonder if this law still exists in Harlem today or if other cities enforced similar laws at the time following Harlem examples.