An hour at a pumpkin patch

Odalis Espinoza
Writing for the Social Sciences
Profesor Harris
5 October 2019

Location: Pumpkin Patch
Date/Time: 10/05/2019 @3:20-4:20 pm

The location I observed was a Pumpkin patch in Long Island on a Saturday afternoon. I sat on a stack of hay for an hour noticing the behavior of both adults and children, without participating in it. When I first sat to begin my observation notes I immediate realized the amount of people at the location. I had seen an extreme numbers of cars, but it surprised me to see this many people. Roughly I can estimate there were minimum 1,000 people in the patch. With the excessive number of people, logically there was an excess amount of pumpkins! The pumpkins ranged in size, from small to extra large, and the color of the pumpkin was repeatedly bright orange, except for a few that were still yellow or had green spots. The visitors to this patch were mainly families with small children who ran around everywhere. I also noticed a lot of couples taking pictures, and a few professional photographers taking pictures of babies dressed as pumpkins. The behavior people presented could be described as loving, happy, and most importantly excited. The smaller children were especially happy running around the huge pumpkins and climbing on top, while their parents took photos of them or of each other. I also noticed the behavior of the females and realized that most of them were there for the pictures rather than to actually pick a pumpkin. I saw a lot of woman taking pictures with pumpkins, and repeatedly recording a similar GIF. The females would jump into the air while someone recorded what is known as a Boomerang, and endless repetition of the jump. The females were mainly dressed I “Fall” outfits, meaning jeans and a cardigan with some sort of boots or dress shoes. There was a small amount of woman that arrived with only jeans and a hoodie, probably because they already anticipated the amount of pictures they were taking. The males on the contrary presented a different behavior. First of all the males that had arrived with their significant other were the ones behind the phone, taking the pictures. I realized that the males took an average of 8 pictures of their significant other for 1 picture of themselves. The males that had arrived with their families kept a close eye of their children as well, while going around repeatedly trying to see if they could lift tbe big pumpkins single-handedly. Overall there was large array of cultures, and it was calming to see so many people from all over the world get along and help each other out (asking for a picture of a group or couple). The male dominance of the scenario was seen when, after the female picked the pumpkin she wanted, the male loaded it onto his shoulder. Everyone one could see males with pumpkins on their shoulders, walking with their head tilted to one side.

2 thoughts on “An hour at a pumpkin patch

• I like how you decided to observe a pumpkin patch field because that is where most people are now that Halloween season is approaching us. I also like that you already knew what some of the people were doing just by their actions like the boomerang made by the girls.

• I like that you included a lot of details when describing the pumpkin patch and even went to include numbers like on how many people were there or how many pictures were taken. Your choice to do the observation at a pumpkin patch was creative and showed a different perspective of it.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message